This week, Nick and I are celebrating our 3 year wedding anniversary. Rather than go for another round of jewelry, we decided to gift each other a new set of luggage. I know – we need to calm down.
If you know my husband, you’re well aware of the extensive research involved with this kind of purchase. We’ve trolled the internet for over a week reading every consumer report, guide and retail site in the search for the perfect set. Slightly painful, but beneficial for you (if you’re in the market for a new suitcase, that is).
Should you ever need it, here are my top takeaways for what to look for in your luggage:
- Look for the longest warranty
- Know exactly what kind of bags you need – don’t get suckered into a package deal. Buying a la carte is best
- If you’re in the market for a hardsided suitcase, look for 100% polycarbonate (the alternative and less expensive ABS and composite polycarbonate is more susceptible to scratches and cracks)
- Durable zippers – if your zipper breaks, you’re quickly out of commission
- Wheels: 4 dimensional, recessed wheels minimize any damage to the wheel system and make for the easiest travel
In the end, we went with the Delsey Helium Shadow 3.0 (the names kill me) from Macy’s since we were in the market for a hardsided bag. It took one focused trip to the department store to finalize our choice and decided on sizes. The best part about these bags? They’re SUPER affordable (because who really wants to spend an arm and a leg on luggage?). Nick and I laughed that we could buy every size, and still come in under what we’ve budgeted for ourselves. While I went into this venture with my Tumi-loving nose in the air, I was so pleasantly surprised by the quality of these bags. Here were our top contenders:
PS: We went with the 21in (weekender/carry on) and the 25in (week vacations)